DIY Grocery Tote

March 28, 2016




As far as I’m concerned the world can be divided into two groups of people: those who love Aldi in an almost cultish way and those who just don’t get it {yet}. I’m a proud practitioner of the “Aldi Way of Life” and I am forever trying to convert people and bring them over to the dark, yet surprisingly healthy and affordable, side {I’m talking to you Nikki!}.

Whether you are a seasoned veteran or an Aldi newbie, you most likely know that you have to bring in your own bags {and a quarter, don’t forget the quarter!}. For some, this seems like a hassle I am sure, but for me this seems like an opportunity to create some fun and reusable totes! Not to mention farmer's market season is here soooo.....

Here’s what you’ll need:
  • Silhouette Cameo 
  • iron on vinyl 
  • tote bag
  • hook tool
  • iron
The first thing I did was create an image in Photoshop {you could use another program, I just happen to like PS}. Here is what the entire image looked like.


I then moved my design over to Silhouette Studio in two steps {because I couldn’t figure out how to un-group a custom image}, here is what the first part of the design looked like when in the Studio view. As you can see in the photo below that I increased the value of the high pass filter so that ALL edges of my design would be cut.


When cutting vinyl don’t forget to mirror your image, I have ruined a few pieces of vinyl by forgetting this step and I cringe every time! I literally JUST figured out today that the simplest way to do this is to right click on your image and select “flip horizontally”. You can also see in the photo below that I have my cut setting set to vinyl, but I turned my ratchet blade to 2 {for me this works better than setting it to 1}.
  


I then sent the design to my machine for cutting, weeded the vinyl and ironed my design directly onto my tote bag {and then repeated all of the above steps for the word ALDI in my second vinyl color}. 

I LOVE how this grocery tote features some of my favorite healthy and fresh foods to buy at Aldi {not shown are all the snack foods I also buy there, haha!}. I am even thinking of making MORE with different text in the middle, I'm thinking maybe "Farm Fresh" or "Eat Real Food". What are some of your favorite foods to purchase at Aldi?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts